Sunday, February 2, 2014

Another Newport Spin In

One of five circles of spinners... 190 strong this year!!!! Fantastic!!!

Our annual Spin In for the Yaquina Fiber Arts guild was held in Newport
Oregon Feb 1. I remember 83 people attending, and then 103. This
year there were 190+. Obviously we have a great time!!! Many wonderful
vendors with  fiber, roving, hand dyed yarn and fiber and much more.


another circle

Diane and Mollie, my friends from Central Oregon
 Mollie's gorgeous scarf was hand dyed by her with cake dyes! then knit.
Diane's sweater was also hand spun and hand knit. What you can't see is
a large decoratively stitched circle on the back. Very pretty.
several different types of wheels
 I thought I would try and take pictures of different styles of
wheels this year. I saw about 7 Hanson electric wheels. They can spin very
fast or not... your choice. The bobbins are much larger and can hold 8 oz.
The reason most ladies purchase them is they are so easy to travel with..
Some have cases and use them as tables, others actually bring tables, as above.
close up of 2 more Hanson's
My friend Ann and myself spinning on my double treadle Lendrum
 This is my Bohus sweater made with 17 colors in the yoke of hand spun,
hand dyed yarn from Wisconsin, not by me. But I knit it. I want to spin and
dye some yarn for this type of sweater. It is 40-50% angora mixed with wool.

The large spool on the hanson holds a lot!
This wheel has a very nice built in Kate for bobbin storage and use
Linda, my friend from the Newport group
 Marie Hurley from Querencia alpaca's gave me some great pointers
on dying fleece and yarn.
 .http://www.openherd.com/farms/3044/querencia
She raises wonderful animals with the very best fleece. I learned so
much from this very special lady. I restrained myself very well but succumbed
and bought one skein of rose/ orange heather yarn from her. Soft mohair socks????
My orangy pink alpaca!!! soooo soft!!!!

Hand dyed Alpaca from Marie Hurley
Me... knitting at Mollie's beach house on the Alsea River
Looking up river on the Alsea

Seagulls love the new dock!!!
Since I now live in Redmond in Central Oregon, it is a 4 1/2 hour drive
over the mountain passes, through the snow, and down to the coast.
Sweet Mollie drove Diane and I and put us up at her lovely beach cottage
for the weekend. Such fun to knit and spin with friends. Ate well, had a
little wine and great talk. It was a really wonderful relaxing weekend.
We made it back up over Santiam pass on the packed snow (stars out and
clear as a bell) just before dark. My guild here in Redmond is also the
same NWRSA guild as Newport so we have a great connection of spinners.
I had not seen my coast friends for about 9 months so it was a wonderful
reunion for me.

2 comments:

  1. I've followed your blog for awhile now, & wish I had realized you were at the Spin-in on Saturday! I came with a friend from Bellingham WA for the board meeting, & I'm in the top photo! Striped sweater, bag at my feet, intently stitching in ends on a small project. A great gathering! It's my second year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your website and designs. They are incredible. I love the Bohus sweater you are wearing in this post!

    ReplyDelete